Question:
What are the most important "dos and don'ts" for a foreigner in India?
pit brett;-)
2005-12-08 16:40:14 UTC
I am going to Bangalore for a six-month traineeship and would like to know how to behave properly when dealing with locals. Are there any serious blunders one easily risks to commit out of pure ignorance of the culture, religion, etc. What are the best ways to build up a good relationship with Indians? And how do I address Indians in a polite manner? Of course, I am willing to learn as much as possible about Indian culture before setting off.

Thanks a lot:-)
Six answers:
Snowgirl
2005-12-08 17:40:50 UTC
Hey,

I am from Bangalore so hopefully I can make this as informative as possible.

Bangalore is situated in the southern part of India, it is the capital city of Karnataka state.

The main language spoken is Kannada, you will however find most people speak atleast some english, so you should not have a lot of problems with the cab driver/waiter/at a store etc.

The weather is usually pleasant, it does not get extremely cold during winter, summer are not over the top hot!

I know a lot of Indians compare Bangalore weather with that of California:)

-First name basis is generally not the norm when the other person is older than you, however, IT companies usually do not follow this rule..you may want to remember this when you maybe meet your friend's parents etc.

-Take off your shoes before you enter someone's home/religious place.

-People wont really expect you to touch their feet:)- it is customary for people to bow down and touch the feet of people older than you as a sign of asking for their blessings.

-Shaking hands is the most formal way of greeting someone, you will embarrass people if you try to kiss them on the cheek as a greeting.

-There are American restaurants in Bangalore-pizza hut, subway, KFC, Mc donalds, TGIF to name a few..you ofcourse will not find any place than will serve beef!Cows are sacred in India!

-Get prepared to experience some horrible traffic:)

-People can get curious sometimes and ask irrelevant questions, if you do not wish to answer, shrug them off gently.

-Get a local to take you out shopping, they know the best places and can get you better deals than if you went alone.

-Try to hire pre paid cabs to go site seeing/shopping to make sure you are not over paying.

-Auto rickshwas are also preferred, pay as much as the meter shows, if it is after 8-9pm, you may be required to pay the fare+50%.(thats the norm)

-There are beautiful places to see in Bangalore and few hundred miles around Bangalore...

-It is relatively safe in Bangalore..however it is always safe to be on guard after dark.

-Most places will not accept credit cards for small amounts, carry a few hundred rupees..

-The biggest American bank in Bangalore is citibank which also has atms around the city.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Have a wonderful time:)
Kyle
2005-12-08 16:55:12 UTC
I just got back from a six month stay in India. One thing to do when entering a temple, home or shop (out of respect) is to take off your shoes. When greeting someone older than you, it is very polite to bend over, bowing with your right hand extending towards the other person's foot. When doing this, they will usually touch your shoulder or back and you stand back up. Eating with your right hand is very common, many times hands were the only utensils and other time only a spoon. However if you are staying at a high end place western utensils will be available. If you are staying at someone's house, expect to eat dinner late and a lot of it! Staying conservative will keep you from making any cultural misunderstandings, it is always best to observe the company you are with, let them act first and then follow suit if you are not sure of what to do. Indians ask many questions that may not be asked in the States so bluntly, usually pertaining to costs of things, salary, etc. Have a great time in India!
sashwat
2005-12-14 23:34:04 UTC
Women Travellers have certain advantages as well as certain disadvantages & discomfort also.

Women are regarded & occupy a distinct position in Indian Society. This is reflected while travelling in India.

Women are given privileges & advantages. These include special coaches/ berths in Rail/ Bus Travel & additional queue for tickets/ banks etc.

At the same time, there are certain anti-social elements also. They intend to take advantage of lonely foreign women travellers. They assume the foreigners to be more free & easy. There are certain instances where single woman has been treated in a bad manner by these kind of people.

I request proper dressing when at a public place. Women Travelers are requested to maintain proper dressing & adopt a decent dress. This not only minimizes the risk of getting involved into dangers but also is healthy for a Country like India.

Getting involved with men is also not suggested. Try to shorten the conversation. Also don`t respond to any kind of staring or undue attention to men.

At last it is important to maintain distance & talk less with men.
Haris
2005-12-08 17:55:48 UTC

* All foreign nationals must pay hotel bills in foreign currency (cash or travellers cheques). This can be paid in rupees if the visitor has a bank receipt as proof of currency exchange.

* Exchange money only through authorised banks or moneychangers.

* Insist on a receipt when exchanging money.

* Retain all receipts to facilitate re-conversion of unspent money on departure from India.

* Shopping is recommended from Government Emporia and suggested shops on the list of the Department of Tourism. Information on these can be obtained from tourist offices in India.

* Export of most wildlife and their products is either banned or strictly regulated. Export of the few permissible items - even as passengers' personal luggage - is allowed only under an appropriate export permit.

* Insist on getting a certificate for the legitimate sale of a particular animal product and permission for its export to avoid inconvenience on departure.

* Taxis and auto-rickshaws in cities do not all have meters, but where they do, insist on the meter being flagged in your presence. If the driver refuses to cooperate, seek the assistance of a policeman.

* In addition, the above fares change from time to time and so will not always conform to readings on the meterfile://Parmod/hcilondon/tourism-information/hotel-accomodation.htmls. To avoid confusion, insist on seeing the latest fare chart and pay accordingly.

* If you wish to visit any prohibited or restricted areas, check with the nearest Government of India Tourist Office to ascertain details of the formalities required.

* Check with the nearest Government of India Tourist Office the rules regarding photography at archaeological monuments.

* Try to avoid the touts and brokers of shopkeepers.

* It is obligatory to cover your head before entering Sikh shrines.

* In case of any difficulty contact the nearest tourist office or police station.

* Concessionary tickets such as Indrail Pass on Railways, Youth Fare, Discover India Fare and Air Fare (Indian Airlines) are to be purchased in foreign exchange only.

Don't:

* Don't get lured by shopping bargains on the street.

* Don't exchange money except with an authorised moneychanger.

* Don't purchase travel tickets through strangers or unauthorised travel agents or tour operators.

* Don't encourage beggars by giving them money or other articles.

* Don't buy silver/ivory articles or peacock feathers in bulk.

* Don't wear any footwear inside Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Jain places of worship. Some temples do not permit leather articles to be taken in.
shireen
2005-12-21 21:34:46 UTC
be natural, avoid cow beef, enjoy learning yoga,

try to eat chaat but be careful of spices,

try to bargain and find a suitable indian girl to marry, you will thank me for life.

most welcome to bhopal, the center of india where i stay,

take my bike and enjoy water sports in the largest lake of central india,see real white tigers in city itself, visit hill station nearby,

stay with me , taste indian delicious food, and visit khajuraho, famous for indian sex statues & temples, send mail for details. welcome to india. Source(s) www.mptourism.com . my phone number is 910-93295-20970
apateluiuc
2005-12-08 16:53:54 UTC
http://www.khosla.com/cityboiledbeans/traveltips.htm

http://www.hindustanlink.com/Destination/dodont.htm